Thursday, June 26, 2014

Dark Spring

 
“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.” -Marilyn Monroe

ChrisRandallPhotography


Since the moment I decided to do this blog and started collecting inspirational photos, I have been chomping at the bit to recreate a Marilyn Monroe photo. Reluctantly, I held off, because 1) I didn't want to be too predictable by kicking it off with the vintage sex symbol  and fashion icon 2) It takes serious  guts to put your photo side-by-side with someone who has been called "The Most Beautiful Woman of All Time", regardless of it being in the name of art, fashion, or complete insanity… It took me some time to build my confidence after starting this blog before I felt Monroe-worthy, and 3) There are probably more photos of Marilyn Monroe floating around than there are of all the actresses I've done so far combined… It was too darn hard to choose just one! And believe me, this won't be the last Marilyn post... but I will try to restrain myself and limit it to one per season:)


I remember being 11 years old, sitting on the couch  with my mom and sisters watching Marilyn Monroe’s E! True Hollywood Story. I was fascinated by her beauty, dazzled by her romantic escapades with important men, and heartbroken by the sadness and inner demons that were her eventual demise. But the thing about her story that truly struck a chord with me was how she had transformed herself- it was like magic. One day she was plain old Norma Jean, and the next she was Marilyn, the most iconic sex symbol the world has ever seen.

There are a few classic images that have become embedded in America's consciousness- the scandalous breezy white halter dress, for example. These are the pictures that come to mind when we hear the name Marilyn Monroe. But unlike many other silver screen actresses, it is difficult to pinpoint her signature style. She could be naturally sexy in slacks and a loose sweater, with very little makeup, or a stunning bombshell, pouring out of a form-fitting dress in a way that would make Charles Manson blush. Her signature style may very well be that she was a true chameleon, changing herself into whatever the world wanted her to be. Her only true flaw, I think, was the emptiness inside her that caused an insatiable need to be wanted and loved by all. As someone who has struggled my entire life with insecurity and being someone that I love and accept, I can relate…Maybe that's why I am so drawn to her. So this post, more so than any other, is a true homage. Marilyn, wherever you are, we love you!


 

I can't say for sure why I chose this photo out of the hundreds I looked through. There is something so stark and honest about it. She is wearing a Mona Lisa smile- is she happy? Sad? Does she look coy? Or maybe daring? Her expression, like the actress herself, is whatever you want it to be. 

Another thing that appealed to me about this photo was the fact that she's wearing a hat. I didn't have to dye my hair platinum blonde to achieve the look! To get those wispy, loose curls you see peaking out, I worked in a styling cream to fight frizz while my hair was wet, and allowed it to dry naturally. Then I used a generous amount of salt water styling spray to give it a matte, beachy texture, combing it through with my hands. I have naturally curly hair, but if you're hair is straight, you can get the same effect by braiding your hair, drying naturally, and pressing the braid with a flat iron a few times before unbraiding. Before using the salt water spray, use a curling iron to add a few scattered curls wherever you want more texture. For this look, I just rolled up the back of my hair without using an elastic, and tucked it under the hat, allowing a few loose tendrils to peek out.

For the eyes, I used a soft golden-beige shadow on my lower lids, then blended a glimmery gunmetal gray shade in the crease and along the upper and lower lash line. To create a bit of sheen, I used a pearly white pigment crayon under my brow bone (check out the product list below, this is one of my absolute makeup essentials). I used black liquid liner above my upper lash line only, extending out just beyond the corners of my eye. Finish by using an eyelash curling, pressing hard 3 or 4 times to cause a pronounced upward angle, and apply mascara to lengthen the lashes.

I had a hard time deciding on a lip color, because the black and white picture made it tricky to get a sense of the shade Marilyn is wearing. To me, she looked like she was wearing a fairly neutral color, maybe a few shades brighter than a true nude. The lipstick I chose, in real life, was a light pinkish-copper color...Far from the bright pink you see in my photo! Something about the lighting and the filter Chris The Photographer used brightened up my lips like crazy. The final look is not totally true to the inspirational photo, but I thought it looked pretty cool nontheless, so I used it. (I am still going to list the brand and shade of lipstick I used, because in reality it is very close to what comes across in Marilyn's photo. I think it's a universally flattering color that gives just the right amount of dewiness without being shiny.)

Although I am clearly no Marilyn Monroe, it was so much fun paying homage to my idol through this photo shoot. If you had to pick one celebrity, past or present, to pay tribute to, who would it be? Is there an actress, singer, or performer, who you almost think of as a friend, even though you've never met them? Who is your Hollywood kindred spirit?

Product List

Makeup

Bare Minerals Ready 2.0 The Late Show Eyeshadow Duo in "Guest Star" (golden beige) and "Uncensored" (glimmery gunmetal gray), Ulta, 20$

Benefit Cosmetics High Brow, Birchbox 30$

Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Eyeliner, Ulta, 20$

Buxom Full-Bodied Lipstick in "Two Timer", Sephora 20$

Hair

Bumble and Bumble Styling Creme, Sephora 26$

Bumble and Bumble Surf Spray, Sephora 15$

Clothing

Woven Gardening Hat, Jo-Ann Fabric, 20$
 

Black Rain Coat, Vertigo Paris, TJ Maxx, 20$


1 comment:

  1. “embedded into our consciousness" is a great way to credit Marilyn. She came into existence just before mass reproduced beauty and she is ultra-sexy without seeming replaceable by a few dozen other women. There is a fine line where woman seem 'available' while maintaining their dignity and innocence and Marilyn walked that line beautifully. It was not only her, it was also the era she defined. We have lost much in this internet age when we can look up “beaver shots” of the most famous. What is special anymore and what can possibly be innocent? Marilyn oozes sexiness while still seeming like she could be your friends mother and there is something so beautiful and inviting about that. We’re too quick now to turn everything into overt sexuality and forget that we all want to be loved, beautiful, and cherished as something irreplaceable and not reproducible. Only by knowing who and what we are can we do that…

    ReplyDelete